Baby sleep wars continue. Baby – 1..Parents – 0.

Mombie definition

I long for the day when I can come on here and boast “Guess what?! Both boys have slept through the night for almost a week now!!” *Insert happy dance* But unfortunately for my husband and I, this is NOT that post.

Twin mom problem – when one sleeps through the night like a pro and the other wakes up a zillion times a night. The good thing is that Josiah doesn’t even flinch when Micah cries or makes all of his cute crazy noises. He just sleeps through it all. Gotta be thankful for that!

We have tried everything. The doctor gave us tons of suggestions which proved helpful..but it did not fix the sleep issue. He just doesn’t want to sleep through the night. He will sleep soundly until about 2 or 3 am…and then, he wants to eat. We’ve tried doing all that we can to hold off the bottle, but he won’t stop crying until he finishes his bottle. He finishes the entire bottle, and falls back asleep. The doctor thought, maybe he needs to eat more during the day. She said that if he is eating the right amounts, he shouldn’t be hungry at night. She recommended giving him three solids a day on top of his normal bottles. Josiah is three pounds heavier than Micah. Micah remains at a steady 4 ounces every three hours. He eats all of his solids well, and takes his bottles well during the day too. He doesn’t resist any of his feedings…but during the night, he just won’t sleep through. Some of the things we are in the process of trying.

• Β Giving him Zantac regularly again.
  • Give him more oatmeal in his last bottle and increase his bottle from 4 ounces to maybe 5 ounces or 6.
  • The 3, 6, 12 method…which works like a charm to put him to sleep at night, but in the middle of the night when we try to use it again, he’s not having it. Not even sure if it’s a real “method” but it’s something our doctor recommended that worked.
  • Praying for a sleep miracle.

It’s easier on days where my husband has to go in to work at 3. He gets up for the morning shift and lets me sleep until about 9:30 am..and I take over and let him sleep until about 11:30 However, on days when he opens..it’s a nightmare. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like when I actually have to go back to work and function like a normal person. I thought it was bad when I was pregnant (trying not to fall asleep during reading groups…not exactly the best look as a teacher!) but I can’t imagine what it will be like when I’m not and just plain ol’ sleep deprived. The positives? Micah is out of the swaddling stage. We put them both to sleep on their stomachs and they do well with it. Even now, I put them to sleep easily and they fall asleep on their own, which is awesome. We just need one to stay asleep through the night!

So we get really mad…and then this happens:

DSCN0899

DSCN0901

DSCN0876

DSCN0921

…and our hearts are melted. BUT THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. Get your cute little butts to sleep. Please and thank you. Thus, I remain a Mombie.

16 thoughts on “Baby sleep wars continue. Baby – 1..Parents – 0.

1. journeyformybaby says:

Tru doesn’t sleep through the night either. He was sleeping from 9pm to 3:30-5am then going back to sleep until 7:30am and then sleeping till 10am. He did this for like 3 months but now he’s waking up all night and earlier in the morning. Must be teething + growth spurt for him. Last night he went to bed around 9 then up at 1, 5, 8 and 9. It is a little hard to get more than 4-6 hours of sleep. I just try to remember, it won’t be like this for long. But with pregnancy and now having a baby, I haven’t slept more than 4 hours straight in almost a year!!! πŸ˜‰ lol

Maybe it is the teething thing too..the weird thing is that Josiah shows more signs of teething but sleeps better! I can’t figure it out. LAst night we woke at 12, 2:30, 5, and 7. The call time seems to be around 6 to 6:30 which won’t be such an issue when I’m back at work, that is normally the time I wake up to get ready for work. But now…it’s super hard! You’re right, this too shall pass eventually! We can hang in there….right?!

2. livinginthedeepend says:

Girl–I feel your pain! Both of my twins, one in particular, was a wake every 2-3 hours at night baby for the longest time. I was nursing so I think her issue was as much comfort as anything, but I read lots of books and tried so many different things just to find none of it worked for her! Just remind yourself that you are a fabulous mom even if your baby is a horrid sleeper. I have even quit asking new moms how their baby is sleeping because of my hard sleeper…best of luck to you! Hang in there!! Your babies are absolutely adorable!!

Thanks so much! I know what you mean about asking other moms – when they tell me “oh they slept through the night at 3 months” or something like that, I just want to scream lol not because I’m not happy for them, but because I’m jealous and wish we were getting a solid 7-8 hours! It’s hard because before having the boys sleep was EVERYTHING to me. If I didn’t get my 8 hours, I was a hot mess and miserable. Now, it comes with the territory and I’ve had to learn how to function effectively on 5-6 hours. Because of my lack of rest, I’ve also gotten sicker this winter. My immune system is all out of wack! Can’t wait for spring!!

3. Theresa says:

I can’t remember – have you tried the magic sleep suits?
    I keep hearing that there are just some babies that don’t sleep through the night until 9 months, 12 months, 2 years – depending on the temperament of the baby. In our case also bc we have two, there is usually at least one up at some point during the night. Sometimes they want to eat, sometimes they don’t. I read a sleep chart that says they “should” be able to go 12+ hours without a feed at night at 8 months. This has yet to hold true for longer than a day or two for Miss Abby – or then maybe I am simply to lazy to stand around bouncing her back to sleep when I know a boob will do it πŸ™‚
    How are they napping?

Yes I did try it for Micah and it didn’t do the trick, though Josiah seemed to enjoy it!! lol.Ironic huh? Maybe eight months will do the trick? I need to do more research on this. I have a hard time witholding the bottle when they actually down the entire thing, which tells me they are hungry when they cry. We are the same way…we’ve tried bouncing, cuddling, not cuddling, letting him cry..in the end, we give him the bottle and he goes to sleep for a few more hours. We are basically trying to survive with some shred of sanity! Also, I tried the sleep suit a few months ago, maybe I should try it again for Micah and put him on his belly? More things to experiment with! lol

• Theresa says:

I dunno that I’d use the suit and belly sleeping at the same time. you’re actually supposed to stop using it when they start to be able to roll in it. Maybe try the belly sleeping without the suit? That seems to help Abby, who is definitely the lighter of the sleepers…and the one with lungs that won’t quit…. πŸ™‚

That’s true…it seems like it would be hard to move as much in the suit (which is the point) which is probably not a good idea when they’re belly sleeping. Abby and Micah would be the best of friends. πŸ˜€