NO developmental delays. One word – gratitude.

The boys had their official 9 month appointment but I never posted about it, only about them at 9 months since their appointment was late. Ironically, they will be 10 months in two days. The most important thing that sticks out to me from this appointment is that the boys are on track developmentally and have no delays for being born six weeks early! BLESSING. I follow other preemie mom bloggers who have to face developmental delays for their little one and I know it’s extremely difficult for them..so I can truly see what a blessing this is. Especially because we had a rough beginning. When my boys were born, it was not the typical “baby born, post 3829 pics, take baby home, people come over and love on baby..” My boys faced some complications. Jo-Jo was on CPAP because he was born with some fluid in his lungs and was then sent away to a hospital out of state because the doctors thought he may have Hirschsprung disease…but that was ruled out. When Jo-Jo was in this hospital, M-berry was home with us for a week, only to catch RSV and fight for his life. He spent 10 days intubated on a ventilator and ultimately about three weeks in the hospital (AFTER he was discharged and sent home..he went right back)…without going back to that place, they went through a lot to make their place in this world. To hear the doctor tell us that everything is WONDERFUL is simply amazing. It made me want to cry. Complete joy. So all of that to say this – I do NOT take the fact that at this moment in time they have no developmental delays lightly or for granted. Here are the updates from that appointment:

• The boys should start eating table foods at this moment. We can bring it in slowly and the doctor wants us to continue to give them baby food as well. I’m excited/nervous about this part. Choking freaks me the heck out. I mean, it would freak out any mom right? Plus, it’s a sign that they’re growing up. I’m not ready for this to happen yet, obvi. lol.
  • Continue to give them water in the sippy cup. Problem…they are not fans of the sippy cup anymore. They were doing okay for awhile, but decided they are over it. They just don’t want it. I’m going to experiment with buying a different type of sippy cup and see if this helps any.
  • M-berry is 18 pounds and is 26.5 inches long. He is a shorty!!! He is in the 24th percentile. This is a good spot for us because he is gaining weight and now there’s not as much as a gap between his weight and his brother’s. Hoorah!
  • Jo-Jo  is 20 pounds and in the 52nd percentile when it comes to weight. He is 27.5 inches long. Seems like he is a little short to me too but we are not the tallest people in the world, so that would explain that!
  • Jo-Jo officially has two teeth at the bottom as well. Micah is getting ready to bust some teeth out but he doesn’t have any yet.
  • They both have big heads, though I don’t remember the measurements or percentile off of the top of my head.
  • We can start “teaching” them to walk.I really don’t want to do this. This means that they will not be babies forever and I’m not sure if my heart can handle that.

Here are the latest pictures my husband took of the boys in our backyard:

3c9f-2b6c-82fe-7cf0

3d94-e0b2-917e-f702

7ad4-6512-fe7a-9e62

b4c5-9f2a-a074-4c59

849d-0535-e7dc-3312

2533-5fff-5389-d75e

b98f-b034-23d4-ae6e

c8f6-b194-b495-fef1

cf52-a790-8396-19bb

e061-3ad0-1da7-f9db

…and this would be my absolute favorite in the universe.

I look at these two and feel so much gratitude. That’s all I can do to explain it. Gratitude. I’m grateful for something that I don’t deserve and did nothing to earn…but they are my boys. Thank you Lord. This journey is such a beautiful one.

17 thoughts on “NO developmental delays. One word – gratitude.

1. journeyformybaby says:

All that is great news!!! Such a blessing. 🙂 I don’t think I will be “teaching” Tru to walk lol. I will just let nature take it’s course I think. Your babies are so beautiful! They are so petite too….. Well, compared to my giant baby lol!!!

haha I’m with you! How the heck does one “teach” a baby to walk anyway? lol whatever. I’m okay if I carry them for life. One strapped to the front, one strapped to the back maybe. And yes, my boys are itty bitty height wise haha.

Thank you! I know..they really do grow way too fast! I try to lecture them once a day to slow it down…but it’s to no avail.

2. Theresa says:

You’d be surprised what babies can chew with their gums! We started giving ours table foods around 9 months and its pretty impressive. Just start with small cut up pieces of whatever you are trying and gradually you can increase the size. You may also want to try a straw cup if they don’t like the sippy.
    Love the pictures!

I may have to try the straw cup! I’ve started to mix a very miniscule amount of apple juice into the water and that seems to help. I just want to them to get used to drinking plain water. Jo-Jo seems to have an easier time with the table foods but they both love it. I am just SUCH a worry wart. But I trust other mom’s who have gone before me. lol, thanks for the advice!

3. acuriouskatie says:

Charlotte doesn’t like sippy cups either. We’ve had to give her water in a regular glass and hold it for her to drink, but we recently gave her a cup with a lid and straw and she’s done well with that. Of course they can get a little too much that way too, but they learn 🙂 And I am the same way about table foods! We give them to her, but watch her like a hawk!

The boys are so adorable. I love their hats!

Aw, thank you! These babies can be pretty stubborn huh? They have such little personalities! I want it to be easy…mommy gives you cup, you drink it…done. haha. I keep hearing the straw cup may work so we may have to give it a go!

4. Elisha says:

oh my goodness they are stinkin adorable! God is so good and I see His favor on your life with each picture! 🙂 Thank ya Jesus for no delays as well!! xo

5. futuresoccermom says:

The pictures – oh man.SO adorable. Love the hats! yes – how does one teach a baby how to walk? Give me the tips! Also, I’m totally afraid of choking myself. We started (and continue) with super mushy foods, like avocado and banana and I’m taking it real slow. If it’s something that’s not super squishy, I make the pieces really, really ridiculously small. Because I’m crazy, but paranoid. So far so good!

6. Tales of a Twin Mombie says:

LoL that’s my question too! My husband basically grabs their hands and holds their hands and tries to get them to walk. My husband also told them how to pull themselves up in their crib and now that’s ALL one of my boys does. Thanks hubby. I don’t think they will walk when they are good and ready. Hopefully LATER than sooner lol, I’m such a weird mom but I want them to stay my little babies a bit longer. I’m also crazy and paranoid too. We’d make a great pair of real life mom friends because I’m the exact same way lolol

7. intunewithmyautoimmune says:

Healthy is good! Our boy began walking at a year…we tried to teach him and thought he would do it for months, but in the end he just got up and did it one day and now he is running everywhere and does not like to stop or be told where to go. Good luck when they start to walk because with two…they will head in different directions (think leashes..haha). We found a sippy cuy that had a weighted straw in it and ours loves it. Finally, tiny bits makes eating less stressful…we just have to watch ours to be sure he does not stuff all those small bites in his mouth at once. Enjoy…it gets more fun each day!!!