From two incomes to one. It’s happening.

I haven’t been a really good blogger lately. It always gets sketchy for me this time of year because I’m a middle school teacher and this is such a busy time! Graduations, awards ceremonies, dances, assemblies, grading…it’s pretty much go go go time. I can’t wait for summertime to slow down.

There is a major change that has happened. My husband resigned from his job. If you follow my blog, you know that I’ve mentioned my husband’s job here and here . In short, there were some really shady things going down at my husband’s job recently and it became a very hostile work environment because he did not want to go with the flow on some things that were simply wrong. He was trying to hold out at least until September (because I am a teacher and have summers “off” which means no paychecks)…but it just was not possible. Without getting into detail, it became a very intense and hostile working environment for him. He was pretty much told to, “keep his mouth shut” and we knew that he could no longer work for this type of company. We wrote a very long, specific, detailed letter which documented everything and sent it in to corporate, district, his current manager and in the end, they accepted his resignation. It was upsetting because he worked for this company for 10 years, since he was 16, and worked his way up to the top. No write ups, a clean record…and I just feel like there’s so much injustice happening…it just saddens me, the type of corruption that exists in the world. Just wow.

I am a pot of boiling emotions – relief, excitement, terror, anxiety, happiness…you name it, I probably feel it. On the positive side, I see a change in my husband’s demeanor. The stress ridden, slightly depressed person has been replaced with someone who looks like a thousand pounds has been lifted from his shoulders. He has sacrificed so much for our family by working at this job. SO MUCH.

We have the support of our friends, family, pastors, and even some of his friends who are fellow management in the company. They are sad to see him leave but totally get it. They tell him, “You’re young still…you don’t want to be like us…get out while you can…”

What I’m worried about:

• Our financial state obviously.

Mainly, just that. Here are the positives:

• My husband is happier, which means I am happier…which means a happier home for my boys.
  • We get to see daddy on the weekends, on holidays, and at night. I don’t have to be alone all the time.
  •  We can finally become more involved in church life and attend activities together. It is the norm for me to go to lots and lots of events alone, or trying to handle the babies on my own…which, while completely feasible, is obviously easier with my husband.
  • New beginnings.
  • Maternity leave helped prepare us for this because we learned to live on one income.

We have a savings to get us through the rest of this year and into next year if we are wise with our money. Our plan is to have my husband take most of the summer “off” and recoup/regroup/breathe. He has never not worked since he was 16 so I want him to take a break. He will use this summer to continue to build his photography business and will start looking for work towards the fall.

That’s all I have so far. I”ll blog more about this later. My trust is in God. He’s always provided for us, and He certainly will not fail us now. Things may be tight, but I know we will be okay. Until next time.

15 thoughts on “From two incomes to one. It’s happening.

Thanks Elisha! A few months back you gave me a word that I took to heart and it weighed on my ever since you said it. When we finally made the decision to leave, I kept going back to what you said – God WILL provide. He has never forsaken me yet and He will not start. xoxoxo!

1. sparrow says:

I hope your husband can relax and recoup this summer a bit– though might be hard if he’s taking care of the twins! But seriously, so glad he got out of a bad situation. Thinking good thoughts for you all. My family has been living on one income for a while which, while challenging, can still work.

Wow – I’m glad that I have someone who has the background of living on one income because you can be a good resource for me! I know that it’s possible. We already live within our means…it will just mean cutting out a lot of the extras, which there aren’t much more of anyway. In the end, I value the happiness of my family over being a slave to a corporation that treat its employees horribly. Thanks for your well wishes girl <3

2. hopefulandhungry says:

Thinking of you, I’m sure your husband’s job change is stressful, but it sounds like it’s working out for the best since he is happier. That is worth a lot! I’m sure something great will come along for your family. Enjoy your summer off!

3. Theresa says:

A similar thing happened to my husband where he felt it was necessary to resign. He’s been off a couple months and is now looking into going back to school. We have to sit and discuss finances still. It’s a scary transition.

Yeah, there are so many emotions involved because it’s a decision that directly impacts every area of our life! I’m comforted to know that I am not alone in what we are going through and there are others who are traveling this road too…not that it’s fun..here’s to the future!

4. Less to More says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you! Such a difficult decision, but praise God that your trust is in Him alone. We went through a period of unemployment a couple of years ago, and though it was a difficult time, we learned so much during that time and we also saw God miraculously provide for our needs.

Amen! Thanks! I know it won’t be easy, but I’m open to the lessons God is going to teach us through it all! I am reminded of the ways God provided for us during my maternity leave. <3

5. futuresoccermom says:

Big changes for you! I apologize, I’m behind on my blog reading. I know you all will get through it, because that’s what you do! And I hope the end of your school year has gone well.

How WAS the transition away from babies back to work? I’m a mess about going back to teaching this fall!