Television and toddlers, what are your thoughts?

I would love to hear from my fellow momma warriors on this topic – how much television do you let your little ones watch?

Do your little ones have their favorite TV shows? Or channels? Or movies?

Also, how much do you think is too much?!

My little guys aren’t in preschool yet, they’ll be starting in the fall. While I long to be the creative type of mom who always has cool activities and Pinterest-y tupes of things to do with her children, most of the times I fall short of this. Particularly during the week. On the weekends, I try to take the boys out as much as possible and do some fun things with them when we can.

But then there are the times where I just want to eat in silence or use the bathroom alone, or clean. For this, I rely on the television. When my boys are watching their favorite television shows, I can actually get quite a bit done. I am never far away, I’m usually in the kitchen a toddler gate away and watching them the whole time. But sometimes I feel guilty! I feel like a pretty stellar mom in the summer because I don’t work, so we are able to go on adventures, take walks every day, go on little outings, play in the yard a lot more. In the winter, not so much.

I have friends who are the kinds of amazing moms that always have a fun activity up their sleeve, don’t mind running around in freezing weather, and seem to be killing it in the best way in the winter time. I think I will have to add this to my list of 2016 goals, but alas, I’m not there yet.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts? How much do you think is too much? What are the fave television shows and such? Currently, my boys are obsessed with:

PJ Masks [They pronounce it “TJ-Maxx]

Despicable Me [the movie]

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse [pronounced “Mick-house”

and of course…VEGGIE TALES. I kind of forced the last one on them because I love them.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Writing from this East Coast blizzard as we have over a foot of snow on the ground and are trying to avoid power outages. Stay warm fellow East Coasters.

21 thoughts on “Television and toddlers, what are your thoughts?

1. Naptime Reflections says:

My 2.5 year old loves Curious George and Daniel Tiger. We watch more shows than I would like. It happens, especially in the rain or on a hard day. I think as long as you monitor what they’re watching, it’s not the end of the world. We don’t do violence. We don’t do commercials. We’re definitely not perfect, but my son actually learns a lot from his television friends.

Thanks for sharing!! I think I am along the same lines as you! We don’t do commercials either and the kids aren’t exposed to violence or anything inappropriate. My husband and I never watch our shows around them either. <3

2. Persephone says:

I used TV too much when my second was born (eldest was 22 months at the time), but, if anything, it did help his speech. I only really let them/him watch what I prerecord and I only do that with certain shows (I’m a fan of Disney!). However, sometimes we’ve noticed he watches too much TV like on the weekend or over the Christmas break so my hubby bought a cheap clock, removed all of the hands except the hour hand and coloured in segments. There are only three hours a day now that are “his TV” and most days he doesn’t even look at it or ask.

Yeah in some ways I feel like it can be helpful, love the idea of the clock! I feel like it’s much easier in the summer, in the winter I think they watch too much. Ehhh!

3. afamilyformcmanda says:

Jackson definitely gets more screen time than I like, but it is a survival tactic for the most part. A, having a newborn in the home really limits my availability 24-7 for every whim. B, it’s winter and it’s cold in South Dakota! C, my hubby is a TV junky, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. He gets Thomas the Train, Micky mouse on Disney jr, and a few movies… Cars, finding nemo, and the current fave, Home (I love that one too!). I hope it will get better as it gets nicer out in the spring and we can be outside again as a family. No worries momma, tv is just one of those things.

Thanks for your honesty girl! I think you pointed out a keyword -survival…and you even more so with a newborn! I love when they actually like something that I want to watch lol.

4. randomsqueaks says:

I wouldn’t worry so much too. I stay at home with them and many days I just need a break! My problem is that if they watch one episode, they have a fit if they can’t watch more. If they watched tv the day before, they want it the next day too. So I limit TV because it’s “bad” and to avoid fussing. But some days, it’s just wonderful to turn it on and have them be quiet and out of the way for half an hour or more! I also miss having the tv just on and being able to glance at whatever hgtv show I’m half-watching while I cook dinner or clean up. Over the last year, we only have the TV on kids shows if the kids are up. I had to tell them several times that we were watching Mommy’s show when I decided to watch Fixer Upper episodes this week. They actually sat and watched for a while before going off to play.
    Their favorites are Daniel Tiger (Tigey) and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I’ve tried to interest them in VeggieTales and Little Einsteins because I like them. They’ll watch some movies but they eventually get bored thankfully. Despicable Me is a favorite, and they like most Disney movies I’ve shown them. Except Finding Nemo, I think because the beginning scared them.

My boys have their favorites! If we watch a movie, we try to make it a big family event and talk to them while we’re watching it and this happens usually in the evenings after dinner! I love Daniel Tiger but they’re not interested!! They’re lately totally into PJ Masks. I might have to try showing them Nemo, it’s a classic!!

5. Amber says:

I wish I could be the screen free mom, but truth is, a little TV is the key to my sanity! I was ecstatic when the AAP updated its recommendation, especially as naps are becoming shorter or nonexistent. My 3.5 year olds are typically allowed 2-3 shows that are 20-30 minutes long. Some days they get more, some less. They love PJ Masks too, also Paw Patrol, and things on pbs kids like curious George, cat in the hat, nature cat, and super why. I try to keep it educational, but sometimes it’s plain entertainment!

AHH, I”m dreading when naptime disappears completely! I think TV is definitely helpful in maintaining a semblance of sanity lol, especially when parenting multiples! I think as long as it’s not a key factor!! And you do such an amazing job of doing so much with your little ones! I go to your blog for ideas 🙂

6. journeyformybaby says:

Ugh. Tru loves TV. I try not to let him watch too much but sometimes, it’s just way too convenient. He likes wild kratts, curious George, sesame street, and a few other pbs shows. Lately I just try to limit him to watching in the evenings after supper. If the TV is on around mealtimes, he will try to skip his meal to get back to TV. And throws a colossal fit when we turn it off. So it’s better for us to just keep it off until supper us over. But I fail at this a lot of days in favor of shower time and getting cleaning done…. :/

7. Maura Mendez says:

I think the fact that you are worried about it shows you are a good mom. We do the best we can with what we have . Twins add
    to the challenge. My older daughter is five and I no longer have to rely on the TV to keep her out I trouble while I make dinner. My two year old twins are another matter! It’s a short term strategy, which allows you to get through the tough parts of the day. Don’t sweat it. No mother ever truly has it “together.” Your children and healthy and thriving and you are amazing!

8. Ctrl+Alt+Mum says:

I have a 2.5 year old. Some days she watches no television. But most days she watches at least an hour. If not two. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a current obsession. Byt since she’s been watching it, her counting has improved, she knows the colours of the rainbow, she’s learning new words, and she can sing half of the songs by heart. I honestly can’t see the downside to be honest. She accepts that when I turn it off and that’s it, no tantrums on that front yet. And some days it allows me to get some extra housework done or convalesce if I’m ill. I try and counter it hy a good amount of outside time if the weather is good, or other activities. I think the balance works well for us.

Thanks for sharing! I like what you said about balance and how it works for you! My boys know the songs to their faves too and sometimes I get the songs stuck in my head! Ha!

9. balancingwithgrace says:

Our little one doesn’t really like more than 5-10 min of TV. But sometimes we will have educational cartoons
    on.

10. Jes Chatham says:

I have 14 month old twins and I can’t wait for the day they’ll watch just one show so that I can get a shower or make breakfast in peace! I will echo what everyone else said- as long as you monitor it , don’t sweat it.