Can I avoid toddler beds…forever please?

IMG_0323

Crib life strong.

My boys still sleep in their cribs and they will be three in the summer. If I could have it my way, I would probably keep them imprisoned in cribs FOREVER. Why?

Because I’m flat out terrified.

Why?

Because there are TWO of them.

What I’m imagining – both boys getting out of beds, tying us up, and rampaging the house, stuffing their faces with Cheetos, Jello, and all of the forbidden snacks they want all day long.

What will probably actually happen – when they wake up they’ll play with their toys until we wake up or pound on the door to get us to wake up OR just walk into our rooms and yell into our faces until we wake up. Am I being realistic or unrealistic? I’m curious how other moms have transitioned out of their cribs into their toddler beds. We have cribs that are supposed to transition into regular beds. I just feel like without being closed in, they won’t really have a reason to have to stay in their beds. I probably wouldn’t! I know I should read up on this, because I haven’t done any research or read anything else yet. I figured I would find out what worked for others.

Here are my key questions:

• When did you switch your littles out of their cribs?
  • How did you do it?
  • What were some of the hiccups you hit?

Anything else you have for me, I would love to hear it. I’m honestly in no rush to do it because they’re not trying to climb out of their cribs and have never once escaped their cribs. They don’t even jump in there or anything. They know it’s for sleeping so when they hit the crib, they lay down. At the same time, I don’t want to hinder them developmentally if I should be moving on to the next step. How did you do it?

18 thoughts on “Can I avoid toddler beds…forever please?

1. futuresoccermom says:

As you know, I’m in the same boat as you – our twins will also turn 3 this summer, and they are still in cribs as well. To be honest with you – I’ve made my decision – they’re not going ANYWHERE for as long as possible. While they might not turn the house upside down, I’m absolutely positive they would be in and out of their beds. They currently sleep wonderfully, from 8:30-7:30. They talk for up to an hour after we put them down (they don’t jump around or stand up either – just lay down and talk!). If they weren’t in cribs, they wouldn’t just be talking! There’s absolutely no reason to rush it. If the only thing making you think it’s time is the fact that they seem old enough – wait! There’s plenty of time to disrupt a perfectly good sleeping schedule 🙂

Now, if the schedule is already off, or the kids aren’t doing well in cribs – that’s another story. But my favorite parenting motto is – “Don’t fix what ain’t broke.” Leave well enough alone 🙂 At least that’s what we’re doing!

Loveeeee everything you said! Our boys sleep WONDERFULLY. They go down at 7:30 and wake up at 7ish and we love it so much! I think it’s just hard for me to figure out if there is a “right” thing to do…but knowing I have fellow moms in the same boat makes me feel good!! Thanks for the feedback!! I don’t want to rush them through or mess with something that works. I think I’m just surrounded by a lot of people who DO rush it and then I’m like ummmm okay is it me, am I doing something wrong? But it goes down to the fact of whatever works works!! Thanks girl!

• futuresoccermom says:

I’m with you there with the pressure. That’s how I’m feeling abt potty training right now – they aren’t ready. They just aren’t. People assume once they are 2.5 that it’s time! Ahh. Just do you 🙂

Haven’t touched potty training yet either! Plan on doing it in the summer before they go to preschool in the fall. I’m dreading it honestly. Lol.

2. K, Twin Mom says:

Hey there! A (girl) is still in the same crib. L (boy) has been in the toddler conversion of his crib since around 18 months. They are 2.5 now. We put a rail on it (ours didn’t come with one), and a latch on the door. Not a lock, but a little clasp thing. It’s easily removable in an emergency or whenever. It’s really a door guard thing so they can’t close the door all the way and pinch their fingers. He doesn’t get out of bed anyway. He just calls for us from the bed. I am nervous about when we stop using the clasp piece. I’d like by 3 to train them on what to do if they wake up earlier than us (like watch tv or play a game). But, I’m nowhere near ready for that and I’ll wait until Amelia is ready for a toddler bed too.

First of all…I MISS READING YOUR BLOG POSTS! So happy you commented because I get to hear from you! How are your little ones?! I think the whole idea of a clasp thing is a good idea and would make me feel better! The fact that your little one doesn’t get out of the bed and calls you is amazing! Isn’t funny how what works for one might not work for the other?! Can we keep them in cribs until college? Just sayin. Lol.

3. K, Twin Mom says:

I agree with the “don’t fix it if it ain’t broken” advice. L was climbing out of the crib three times a night so we had to convert. A is completely happy in the crib. She’ll stay there until she’s ready, or by 3.5 I’ll start trying to get her to want to switch.

4. randomsqueaks says:

Oh my goodness yes! I’m right there with you! I am just terrified because it feels like we have a good groove with sleep and as long as they can’t take off their sleep sacks, they can’t get out. But it’s inevitable. I’m thinking about making the switch summer or fall. I asked several twin moms in my local group and they were very encouraging.

5. jonsie13 says:

I don’t have twins, but I will keep Oliver in his crib as long as possible. Why not? We also plan to skip right by the toddler bed and into a real bed with rails.

6. Theresa says:

Ours have been out of cribs for a few months now, because they were climbing out. They do get in and out some, but honestly most nights go really smoothly. We transitioned one at a time (because Miles climbed out first) and it really wasn’t as scary as I feared.

That’s so good to hear! Your last post was the cutest ever! I think I need to also clear out a lot of stuff I have in their room that they could get into. Ironically enough, their room is the place where they spend the least amount of time so their closet is chock full of stuff. I’m going to try to see how long I can milk this before they try climbing out!

• Theresa says:

I have one of those doorknob things on their door and closet door so they can’t get out and can’t get in the closet ;). Though when they are potty trained I’ll have to take the one off the door. And thanks!

7. Persephone says:

We took the side off my son’s when he was just about 2. Before that, he loved his cot, he knew it was for sleep. He walked around it a bit, but never climbed or jumped. He never, ever, stayed still when asleep though. Never. We took the side off and I was worried as he was such a wriggler. He has never fallen out and until Christmas (6 months later) he had never gotten out of bed either. Until we bought a clock that told him when it was day and now he gets up and comes finds us when the clock is yellow. The first few nights, I closed the bathroom door, put a gate across the stairs and into the baby’s room so he could leave his own room and come into us. Now, we don’t even do that. Oh and all doors have a safety thing on them too high for him to reach so that he can’t close any doors. Just try it and see. I figured my house was already safe for him to everywhere, what’s the difference in the dark?