I wrote about the importance of “me” time awhile ago, but didn’t go much into detail about what I like to do during my time so I thought I would share! All human beings need ME time. Moms need it too! I know there are moms and dads out there who have gone weeks, months, or even years without carving anytime out for themselves. I don’t blame them. It’s hard! BUT, it’s essential. To one’s sanity. At least for my sanity it is. Here are some of my favorite things to do during my “MEEEEE” time.
1. Pick up a Starbucks and browse Target.
If you followed my blog, then you’ve probably read this post about my disdain for Wal-Mart and love for Target. I love me some Target. Yes, I am the cliché mom who takes Target vacations once a week and strolls aimlessly with Starbucks Frappe in hand, going from one clearance end cap to another justifying everything she “needs.” I am the woman who tells the husband, “Hey, I’m heading to Target to pick up some milk and diapers…” only to end up with a cartful of random necessities including but not limited to a purse, curtains, chocolate candy, clearance jewelry, picture frames, makeup that was on sale, and things of that nature. I can’t help it. It’s Target. I am literally this woman. But you know? It gets the job done. When I leave, I feel relaxed. I usually go after the boys are down at 8. This gives me an hour and a half before the store closes. Plus, it doesn’t even cost anything if you don’t buy anything 🙂
2. Curl up with a good book to read all alone! KINDLE IS AH-MAH-ZING.
Because I am an avid, diehard, lover of reading, one of my favorite me time activities of all time is just laying in bed and reading something through my Kindle. Because I’m a Kindle Unlimited member (and Prime member…because Amazon is fabulous) I can borrow up to ten titles at any given time for F-R-E-E. This means that I go through a ton of titles. My favorite genre to read on the Kindle App through Kindle Unlimited is teen fiction. Because I teach seventh grade, I like to stay current on what’s out! Add a cup of hot chocolate and a few cookies to the mix and I have myself a very relaxing me time activity. This is one of my go to things to do!
3. Get my nails and eyebrows on FLEEK! (Sorry, my seventh graders make sure I’m up to date on the latest slang terms. Haha)
I usually get my eyebrows done every two weeks without fail. I actually find this to be a relaxing experience. I know I know, getting hot waxed poured on your head and having your hairs ripped off…relaxing? For me? YEP. It soothes me. I love it. Plus, I feel amazing afterwards. I also like to paint my nails and experiment with different colors, styles, techniques. I fell off the nail wagon for a bit, but have recently picked it up again. In the spring and summer I like to add pedicure to the list, which I love to get done professionally. During this time I can read magazines, text, or engage in mindless chatter for a little bit. I get to escape and just…not think. It’s kind of a beautiful thing.
4. Catch a chick flick with a girlfriend. “Oh-my-gosh…no he didn’t!” *Insert girly squeals here* Watching a chick flick with a good friend is soooo much fun for me because I like to talk throughout the movie. Yep, we are the annoying people in the movie theatre who are whispering to each other about EVERYTHING. “I love her dress…” “He looks so handsome…” “NO! Don’t do it!” and things of the like. We bring our own candy and treats, take pictures with everything in the lobby, post selfies, and talk about what movies we want to see next. My best friend and I have watched every Nicholas Sparks movie that has come out together (like most girls in America, I’m sure…even though we are still trying to figure out what The Longest Ride is about…) and I find that it’s just such a release. I feel like I’m a teen again for a few hours, except we talk now about our husbands instead of the guys we like.
5. Retail therapy-ing. Trying clothes on! Shopaholic probs.
Have I mentioned before how much I love shopping? Trying clothes on, cute dresses, and fashion in general makes me swoon. It’s my happy spot. As I write this, I have three pairs of shoes from JustFab.com hidden under the bed. There are two pairs of strappy sandals from Old Navy hiding under a seat in my car. When I need to get out for a bit, I go to Kohl’s and basically try on anything and everything from the Lauren Conrad collection. Her clothes are whimsical, girly, and altogether fabulous. Pretty clothes instantly brighten my mood. Even if I don’t buy anything, just trying things on and browsing the racks makes me a happy lady.
6. Driving to the shore and walking the beach – ALONE.
This Sunday was Easter and it was r-o-u-g-h. I had unrealistic high expectations for what I thought the day was going to go like. It was pretty chaotic, the boys were in crappy moods in the morning, and needless to say, I wasn’t exactly in the best mood as a result. After church I felt angry. ANGRY?! On the day I’m supposed to feel excited and joyful?! Oh no, that ain’t right. So I helped my husband put the boys down for their Sunday nap, hopped in the car, and headed for the shore solo. I blared my favorite worship songs, bought a frappucino and a chocolate chip cookie, and headed for the beach. Once I was there, I listened to worship music, meditated, prayed, and overall relished the SILENCE. Twas’ beautiful.
7. Watching really good shows on Netflix.
My Netflix experience can overall be summed up by two television shows – Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill. BEST SHOWS EVER. And don’t try to argue with me, I will not be swayed! There’s nothing better than getting swept up in the fast paced banter between Lorelai and Rory. Nothing sweeter than the love between Nathan and Haley. It takes me back to when I was in middle school and high school. And sometimes that’s a nice feeling!
So there you have it – those are a few of the things that make me happy when I need that ME time. And let’s be honest, what human being, mom or not, doesn’t need that time? It’s essential to sanity. I urge you, if you haven’t had that time lately – make yourself a priority just for once. You will feel refreshed, amazing, and ready to tackle whatever else the world may try to throw your way. I know I do.
Do tell – what are YOUR favorite “me” time activities? I’d love to hear from you!