The “F” word. Formula. Yup. I said it. Well, the last time I left you I was crying over two babies who were having meltdowns. One in particular, Micah, who would have them on a regular basis everyday. The doctor recommended that we try this formula:
And gave us a few samples. So we did. Did we see any changes in Micah?
Kind of. As opposed to 8685685 meltdowns a day from him, we are down to fewer but I’m not seeing a drastic enough difference to believe this is the solution. I’m going to talk to the doctor at their next appointment. If I’m not seeing a major difference than I don’t see the point of using it still..but we will see.
Josiah is still happily on breastmilk. He did develop some weird skin issue however, but the doctor thinks that it may be related to simply the change of weather. He is super dry and super cracked… So we slather him up with a special kind of lotion. He loves it! He giggled the whole time as I’m rubbing it in lol. He also has cradles cap..no!! Treating it with some different remedies (if something works for you let me know!)
Anyway, back to the formula. I will admit, I felt quite defeated having to give him it. After all, breastmilk provides soooooo much awesomeness for babies and I’ve worked hard to provide that for them. I do try to sneak in at least one bottle of breastmilk for him a day. The formula that he requires is $10 a bottle and it only lasts for about a day and a half before we need another one. Our doctor wrote us a prescription but insurance denied it. Annoying! I’m on maternity leave so spending that much is not a help! Again, this is going to be up for discussion at the next appointment. We are going to try Gripe Water today too and see if it makes any difference. Micah is on Prilosec, Zantac, special formula..and still has his meltdowns. He is somewhat more soothable but I’m not seeing a major major difference. *Sigh*
Guess what? We received a surprise this week! The doctors office called us to told us that they had extra Synagis (don’t know how this is possible) and they had us come in to give the boys a dose! They also told me that we are approved to receive Synagis through Medimune for FREE. WHOO!! So grateful for our doctor’s office which fought super hard for us and would not give up every time our insurance company denied us…they are awesome and I can breathe a bit easier knowing that they will be receiving this shot. My trust is still in God 100% and not just a shot, but it does make me feel better, especially with everything Micah went through. I have been fighting yet another cold (I’ve had 3 since August)…so here we go again. This one doesn’t feel as bad as the last, but still.
My friend Lynda came to visit me from Chicago for four days! Here is our time together in pictures:
Visited the Amish in Lancaster, PA…Ben the Amish dude is driving us around and giving us a tour. The man was SO sick and coughing everywhere…I can’t escape.
Lancaster, PA checking out some cute shops and such! Lynda on the left, myself on the right.
The next day we went to Atlantic City and walked the casinos and hit the outlets. Had lunch at a yummy Cuban Restaurant called “Cuba Libre.”
Lynda, Gabby, myself. BFF’s. It was a much needed time out for me ! I was able to shop and have a break and feel somewhat normal. It was amazing. Lynda is such a special friend, I truly wish she didn’t live so far away. We have a great connection and she’s so awesome. I was sad to see her leave!
My husband and I have been in the process of praying about some major life changes. We are considering having my husband leave his job to care for the boys fulltime and go back to college (probably online, but he will be able to go fulltime). My husband is a manager in retail and works crazy hours, holidays, and has been doing so for about 10+. He has worked his way up in the company but we knew this was a possibility when we were planning on having a baby, but with TWO…it’s becoming more of a reality. Why?
Here are our reasons:
1) We don’t have reliable/affordable childcare options out here. Both of our parents are unable to care for the boys fulltime and we need reliability. Daycare would be twice the cost of our mortgage (at least) and one of our salaries.
2) Hubby’s hours and schedule are affecting every area of our life. We are attending church less, getting less time together as a family, and it’s super hard. He will also forever have to work the holiday, like this Christmas!
3) He hates his job (as do I, even though we are blessed it has provided a steady stream of income for quite some time) and staying home with the boys would allow him to go back to school and secure a degree in an area he actually loves.
Why not me?
1) I don’t want to.
2) I love my job.
3) I make more and have better benefits, along with a better schedule (holidays off, summers off).
So this is where we are at. I know if we were to tell some of our friends and family, they would freak out. If we decide to go this route, we will make the move in March or September, most likely September. We’ve been able to survive off of my husband’s salary and be comfortable during this time that I’ve taken off of work. We are responsible, we would never put ourselves in a position that would threaten our family’s well being or our ability to provide for our son’s. NEVER. However, this is a reality that we need to face – childcare. Normally I would never be for this, but lately I’ve been having a change of heart and feel that the benefits outweigh the negatives. Can you please keep us in prayer as we make a decision about this? I would appreciate that so much. If you are a stay at home mom or dad (or mom, if your hubby stays at home) can you share your experience with me please? Thanks!
As always, I leave you with pictures:
Baby by day..bat baby by night!
Oh you know, just hanging out, watching “Pitch Perfect” with the rents’.
Don’t judge us, we’re pretty tired after church.
Micah giving Josiah the evil eye for being fed first.
My little penguins, ready for their first Synagis shot!
Brothers..best friends.My greatest blessings!